THINGS TO CHECK OUT

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Day 10: Lambanog And Adobo (Flavors of the Philippines)


As soon as I told my coworkers at my last job that I booked this trip they were excited for me. They kept on telling me different things to try and different places to go. Actually; they were the ones that inspired me to try Balut. One of my coworkers, Joselito, told me about this drink that you can only find in the Philippines. This drink is called Lambanog and it is made from coconut. He said that it goes down smooth and it is pretty strong. Well once again let me tell you that the myths are true. In the matter of fact; its the very thing that is giving me the inspiration to write this blog. I can't wait to bring this drink home and share it with my cousins. Apparently there are many different flavors but the only flavors that I've found so far is peppermint and grape. Today I also had a serious craving for some adobo. Adobo is probably my favorite food and it was the first dish I learned how to make. I haven't really been looking for adobo out here because there is so many other great foods that I wanted to try first. But today I was itching for my favorite Filipino dish. So I went to a restaurant called "Max's Restaurant" in the Shangri-La mall and ordered me a full Filipino plate with all of my favorites. Pork adobo; poncite and white rice is what I ordered. Needless to say; my socks were knocked off! Now I'm always a little skeptical when it comes to trying other people's adobo because I make it the best (Yea momma I said it); but today I must say that I was humbled. They made the adobo using pork lechon. Now I've had lechon before but never in the form of adobo and let me tell you; it was to die for! For those of you who don't know; lechon is basically lightly frying the pork in a way that makes it crispy. What makes lechon so awesome is the combination of fat, meat and crispyness that gives it an amazing flavor. Now just imagine this combination mixed with the flavors of adobo and you have a knee-weakening meal. It was by far the best dish I've had in the Philippines yet. 

THIS IS WHAT HEAVEN LOOKS LIKE!!!

   


No comments:

Post a Comment