THINGS TO CHECK OUT

Monday, July 1, 2013

Day 3: My Filipino Culture (The myths are true)



Since my arrival I've been learning so much about my Filipino culture. There were some myths about Filipinos that I was aware of, before coming to the Philippines, that I was amazed to find out to be true. The first myth was, which was the funniest to me, was how much Filipinos love Karaoke. Lol I was walking around last night after dinner and I can't tell you how many Karaoke bars I walked passed. Seriously; its almost like its embedded in the Filipino culture. Now I may be exaggerating a little bit but if you seen the joy on their faces when they sing their favorite songs you wouldn't disagree with my previous statement. I don't know if this is considered a myth but personally I've always felt Filipinos were a very pleasant people. Call me bias but the locals out here are very embracing. I remember my coworkers used to joke around and tell me that the locals are going to take one look at me and try to set me up with their daughter or sibling for an opportunity of a better life somewhere else for their relative. I didn't believe them; tell you the truth I didn't want to believe them. Listen to this; while on my walk last night I started a conversation with an older woman (Victoriana) that was standing outside one of the Karaoke bars I mentioned earlier. The conversation went on for about a good 20 minutes. I must say the conversation with Victoriana was very stimulating and by the end of our talk I felt like I've known her for years. She then introduced me to her daughter Rema (The girl to my right) and told me that she's a student; she knows how to cook and clean, and would make an excellent wife. Rema is only 17 about to be 18 in a couple of months. "I can tell you have a good heart... And a good heart makes a good man" -her exact words. I was honored and flattered at the same time but proceeded to compliment her on her daughter and indicate that I couldn't do it. I mean don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of Filipinas and Rema was a very pretty girl but she's just a baby. I couldn't do it. On a different note everyone out here can tell that i'm Filipino. I had one waitress tell me, "You are amerflip right?" Apparently that is the term they use for American Filipino. I thought this was cool because back home no one can tell I'm Filipino but in the Philippines it's no secret. How ironic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment